From Paris to Med School, you'll always know what's happening with my life on this website.

Thursday, September 02, 2004

We're going to be doctors and we can't even take blood

In theory, when the needle gets in the fat vein, blood is supposed to come out. Not so in my arm. My partner stuck me twice and still no blood came out. May I add I was well-hydrated and I do have fairly bulging veins due to some recent attempts at weightlifting. I even heard the resident say "I think you went in too deep and came out the other end, pull back out."

So finally, the third attempt to withdraw my blood was made and this time the first year med student handed it over to the resident supervising us who wasn't much better.

Here's the rule about the needle: it goes in and out not side to side, or else it hurts, really really bad. Well, the man went side to side, following my slipping vein and I was screaming, granted not too loudly but still screaming for it hurt like a mother.

Of course when it was my turn to draw blood from my partner, I had the same bad luck. The second time I even had the resident feel for the vein before I went in but it apparently escaped or something. My poor partner was in pain and finally the same resident ended up getting blood out of her too.

Man this profession is painful. What bothers me the most is that apparently half of our class was unsuccessful in getting blood from partners. Aren't we supposed to do this on patients soon?

God help us.

Blood draw


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home