From Paris to Med School, you'll always know what's happening with my life on this website.

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Bad Middle School Teacher

Dear Ms. Orr,

I was a bit taken aback by my little brother, Amir Kermani's, homework assignment tonight. Apparently, you gave him a worksheet with questions he had to research over the internet. One of these questions was something like "Did God turn his favor away from Rome due to its sinful nature?"

I googled this question and it matched to a document from the internet which apparently you took your lesson plan from. I've been a teacher before and I do understand that the Internet can be a great resource for teaching and coming up with lesson plans, however, did you read these questions carefully before you gave it to them?

My brother is NOT at school to learn about sins and the favor of God -- and I sure hope you didn't intentionally mean to bring these topics up in class. The poor kid was up until eleven trying to find the correct answer on the internet so that he wouldn't let his group members down. Finally, he called me asking for help since our parents are not good at English and using the Internet. It took me a while to explain to him that such a subjective question could not be possibly answered -- especially using the Internet.

Quite frankly, I'm concerned at the lack of attention on your part. It is not fair to be asking students such questions. Could you please take some time out in class and explain to Amir and his group members that it is okay if they couldn't answer this question and could you please assure me that he will not receive such questions again? Please don't take this email the wrong way. I'm sure you're a fine history teacher and I mean no ill will, but I don't know how else to address this concern.

Sincerely,

Reza Kermani

2 Comments:

Blogger Reza said...

...

October 6, 2004 at 4:55 PM

 
Blogger dao said...

Actually, Reza, the correct answer to the question is "yes". I'm surprised you did not know this.

October 7, 2004 at 11:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home