From Paris to Med School, you'll always know what's happening with my life on this website.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Crazy Times

Wow, psych is already over.... that was probably the best six weeks of med school yet.
Not a single resident abused me, seriously, it was great.
Psych was crazy, but that was kind of the point, you know? For hipaa reasons i can't be specific about things but let's just say psychotic people are mean at times, and they can be real nasty when they're all upset and literally out of their mind.

The interviews were the best at the psych ward. they go something like this:
"hey there, mr. x, so how are you doing today."
"blah blah blah, a bunch of crazy nonsensical things come out of their mouth, or even better, they'll tell me delusional things concerning aliens or monsters or something.
and there goes my interview; progress report today says: "patient still delusional, we'll continue antipsychotic treatment."
and like that, I could finish a note in fifteen minutes sometimes.

My friend kayvon once told me he didn't buy the idea of personality disorders, i mean, if they existed we'd all have one. let me tell you my friends, personality disorders do exist (just walk down the OB/Gyn or surgery floor at any hospital, a lot of cluster B).
I saw SO MANY Borderline personality disorders, and let me tell you, these people are so hard to treat because well, they're just a mess. seriously, they always want to kill themselves or they're happy beyond belief the next minute. You have to keep playing psychological games with them as if they're your three year old brother. But it's still feels good when you can go home at the end of the day and say "I convinced him not to kill himself." and there you have it.
pediatrics is next, man, those kids are gonna be a barrel of monkeys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home