From Paris to Med School, you'll always know what's happening with my life on this website.

Monday, November 29, 2004

the ER goes black

I was having a hard day...

a restless night I had had and I was working under 4 hours of sleep

i was sick, with a sore throat

i was hungry without much food for the day except for a cup of coffee for breakfast if that counts and a egg mcmuffin i got during class break

and most importantly, i was severely dehydrated from all that coffee

well i was helping the doctor put in an IV into a sickle cell patient's jugular vein (that's in the neck) and it was a fat needle
i was totally cool with it, keeping my calm and trying to keep the young pateint calm when suddenly i started getting light headed. i shook up a little and tried to concentrate when i started to feel like i was about to lose it. suddenly i said "i'm sorry doctor campbell but i have to leave" and just as i was walking out everything started blacking out. apparently, the nurse saw me passing out and grabbed me before i hit the floor. next thing i know i'm in a wheelchair and someone's yelling "keep your head down and keep taking shallow breaths, you're vagovasal"

slowly, my vision comes back and next thing i know i'm handed crackers with some juice

i recovered and in ten minutes went back to work but man, that was scary.
i still don't think it was the blood but rather the stress of it mixed with dehydration and my cold although jack disagrees (there i used your name on the blog, let's see if you catch it).

1 Comments:

Blogger Reza said...

no it's not. everything happened just like i wrote it. why in the world would i want to make a story like this up? it's quite embarassing. it's possible the whole vagovasal thing is wrong but that's what the nurse said and I'm not sure if she's right.

December 3, 2004 at 7:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home