From Paris to Med School, you'll always know what's happening with my life on this website.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Just a wonderful day

I'm on neurology right now which means hours upon hours of "where is the lesion?" my professors are kind of unrelenting.
Pt has a foot drop, where is the lesion?
The common peroneal nerve, it's very vulnerable i repeat
ok... he says, where else could it be?
great.... never mind that we hardly ever ever see it anywhere else, but i take a stab
well, the spinal root
which?
s2-s3 i say
"l1 and l2" a kind intern whispers to me, so i correct myself,
which nerve?
sciatic, oh oh , he 's not nodding, femoral i quickly correct myself,
and on and on and on trying to guess where the fucking lesion is, i'm just ready to lose my mind. a human being can only tolerate so much neuroanatomy in one day. hell, in most med schools, this isn't even a required clerkship.

so my first chief told me i sucked, never mind that she threw me in there with five patients the first week plusp presenting all new patients, making it impossible for me to do well. thank God she left. the next one came in, he was more reasonable, thought i did a great job, circled honors on my eval, and just signed. you could say i was lucky there was a shift in power but that is the nature of this random thing called third year of med school

neurologists are dorks, and i mean that sincerely.even the cool ones. well, a couple of them were cool but if er docs are cowboys and pediatricians are sensitive and family med people are boring, then neurologists are just the class computer dorks, you know, the type that is currently at a coffeeshop near you playing the wonderful world of warcraft or whatever that lame game is called.
thank God i got outpatient assigned to a pediatric neuro unit where the kids keep me busy and the pediatricians have a bit more personality and aren't so concerned about the lesion. "the MRI is the lesion!" as one of my new attendings told me today, now that's an answer i like, a lot, oh, and he has long hair, need i say more?

it looks like my people took the House by storm and most likely the Senate too. that's another thing to be happy about

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home